Are you looking for the best Free Backup Plugins for WordPress to ease the process without hassle? In this article, we’ll compare the Top 5 Free backup plugins for WordPress with their pro features as well as cons.
While you’re working hard to build your online empire through a website platform, no matter if you’re writing blogs, Building Service based, product-based websites, When It comes to safety, you need to be precautions about Backing up your website and all the files in order to make sure that you’re completely safe and protected even if something goes wrong with your site.
Note: Majority of Hosting Providers offer Backup services which are limited & not completely reliable. We prefer using any of our recommended plugins to do proper backup.
Why you need Backups?
By any chance, if your web server crashes or Faces serious issues, the majority of your data will get deleted or erased. It’s better to have everything set up rather than losing all the work you have put into your WordPress website over the years.
With Frequent Backups, you’ll be able to keep your Media files, Databases, saved in a different storage environment without any hassle. This makes your whole WordPress site more secure from vulnerabilities.
Related: Best Free Security Plugins for WordPress
While you have backed up your website through any of the mentioned plugins, it’s necessary to have easy restoring capabilities to be able to ease out the whole process. It’s also known as a Complete backup system which is worth extra cost according to the features.
Here we have created a list of the Best Free Backup Plugins For WordPress, while some of them are free to use, some require premium plans to use their pro features.
Starting off the list with a free Backup plugin that allows users to back up their WordPress website & stores it on the cloud (Dropbox, Amazon S3, Rackspace, etc), FTP, or even on your computer. BackWpup lets you generate Backup logs & sends both backup and the logs via email.
The files backed up with the plugin can be restored in many ways, though the convenient restore feature is available only in the premium version, it needs manual work to restore the Backup.
- Pricing: Free Version Available | Premium starts from $69/ Year
- Optimize Database & Backup
- Generate separate Backup file for Plugins
- Check and Repair Database
- Backup in multiple formats
- Stores to Dropbox, S3, FTP, Azure, GDrive, OneDrive, etc.
- Sends backup logs and Backups by Email.
- Pro version allows to encrypt backup archives
UpdraftPlus is one of the most installed plugins, which is the highest-ranked free WordPress backup plugin. This backup plugin is so user-friendly and stuffed with features, that I am personally using this on a couple of my websites. One of the key features of UpdraftPlus is Automated backups. You have the ability to set up remote storage like GDrive, S3, Dropbox, or the default WordPress directory as well as the timing interval of automated backups, and the plugin will do the rest.
Besides more than 10 free usual remote storage systems, you can unlock other additional services with UpdraftPlus premium or Paid Add-ons.
- Pricing: Free Version Available | Premium starts from $70/ Year
- Automated and Scheduled backups
- Remote storage integration
- One click restoration
- Separate backup files for Themes, Plugins, Databases.
- Breakdown of large backups into multiple archives
- Cloning and migration
Blogvalut is known to be one of the most reliable backup plugins out there, for which a lot of WordPress Devs do recommend using BlogVault Backups. One of the major reasons for being such a valuable plugin is that BlogVault lets you store offsite backups independently on their servers, so there will be almost zero loads on your server. BlogVault, being loaded with awesome features is one of the best free backup plugins for WordPress.
- Pricing: Free trial available | Pro Plans starting from $7.4/ Month
- Free offsite storage on BlogVault serveres
- 90 days archive to recover from any mistake
- Incremental backups
- Perform full Restore even in Offline sites
- Intelligent automatic rewrite of all website URL
- Team members can be added for collaborations
- Dashboard to manage multiple sites
- Provides custom WooCommerce table backups
BackUpWordPress is still one of the highest-rated plugins of all. Using the plugin is really easy, it doesn’t require any setup configurations on your Dashboard. The plugin is compatible with working with both Linux and Windows servers & it also does provide the function to exclude specific files or folders from your desired backup.
BackUpWordPress secures its position in the list of ‘Free backup plugins for WordPress’ for being a value-providing plugin with zero Paid Addons.
- Pricing: Free to use Plugin
- Complete backs up files and database
- Backup scheduling is possible
- Customizable backup profile with excludable function
- Works on both Linux and Windows
- Option to have each backup file emailed
- Easy to start, no setups required
- Work on shared host environments
- Multi Language support
Note: By default the plugin stores the backup in the Backups directory in your root folder, It’s recommened to change the backup folder path for security purposes.
Duplicator is again one of the popularly used plugins with millions of installations. This plugin was meant for the WordPress migration process, though it also happens to be a great backup plugin as it has an easing process of backing up a WordPress website.
- Pricing: Free Version Available | Pro starts from $69/ Year (3 Licenses)
- Move, migrate or clone a WordPress site
- Manually backup a WordPress site or specifics parts
- Include or exclude specific files in Backups
- Choose backup limits to avoid storage issues
- Pro version offers storing Backups in Cloud services.
I sincerely hope that you never face the situation to restore your website.
Summing everything up, I’ve found each plugin very useful though there are scenarios where these plugins vary in their performance levels.
Personally, I use UpdraftPlus on a couple of my websites and now planning to switch to BlogVault premium. I was amazed after using it on one of my WordPress websites.
We have discussed a lot of Free backup plugins for WordPress, the majority of them do have paid plans for better features. If you’re looking for higher performance, you can consider continuing premium plans. I hope this article was helpful to you, see you soon.
Want us to Help you with WordPress?
Need a hand in adding Unique WordPress feaures, Hire us
1 thought on “5 Best Free Backup Plugins for WordPress”